Friday, April 13, 2007

Thwarted!

The girls (or whatever they may be) were all out in the sunshine today looking particularly funny and very photogenic. I even had a friend over that could have helped me take some really great portraits. But noooooo... the camera is very thoroughly missing. I have a sneaking suspicion it is sitting in a certain '99 Subaru Outback parked three and a half hours from here in Belgrade, Montana. Arg! No pictures until late next week unless I'm wrong and the camera shows up somewhere in the house, which is totally possible but I did look pretty hard for it.

Anyway, the other news is that I did some research into sexing crested breeds (the Polish). Turns out that the crest develops fuller, fluffier, and rounder in the females when the chicks are still young. Eventually the crest of the mature rooster is far bigger and foofier, but when they are chicks it is the female that gets to look fabulous.

Oops. Given this information, I am almost 100% positive that Beldar is a hen, and Pria is a rooster. I would show you why... but no camera this week. Damn. Is it against the rules to swap their names, or am I now doomed to have a hen with a white afro named "Beldar?"

No comments: